Search This Blog

Sunday 13 May 2012

Why do I want to talk about load line

A load line is used in graphic analysis of circuits, representing the constraint other parts of the circuit place on a non-linear device, like a diode or transistor. A load line represents the response of a linear circuit connected to the nonlinear device in question. The operating point is where the parameters of the nonlinear device and the parameters of the linear circuit match, according to how they are connected while still adhering to their internal systems.

It sounds simple, but for some reason it takes me years to really appreciate it and use it in the design works naturally. While I was still in school, I was taught to apply rules, plot out the load line, and use it to answer question. But in my mind, I always wonders about
1.       How does someone come up with the concept of load line?
2.       Why is it important? As I can still solve the circuit another way.

Not knowing the load line concept, but instead being forced upon to apply the rules blindly, my brain did what it must, memorized the question answering techniques, get in exams, score some pretty good marks, and completely forget about it in months after the exam.

Things that I intend to do blogging about load line:
1.       Derive load line based on actual need and basic concepts
2.       Relate real-life circuit design that applicable to load line.
3.       Shows the advantage it offers compared to other methods

Hopefully these few articles about load line will let the load line concept comes natural to the audience and hence allow application of load line comes in naturally when the need arises.


No comments:

Post a Comment